Friday, June 26, 2009

Itch, Itch ITCH!

Last week I started to itch incessantly all over my body. I didn't have a rash, I hadn't been in contact with anything new, I just had an unbearable itch EVERYWHERE! from my head down to my toes. I was just thinking it might be another strange reaction my body was having to being pregnant and hoped it would go away, either that or it was just mental but after a couple of days and sleepless nights I talked to my doc about it at my visit last Monday. She suggested a blood test to rule out something called Cholestasis. What happens in Cholestasis is pregnancy hormones affect gallbladder function, resulting in slowing or stopping the flow of bile. The gallbladder holds bile that is produced in the liver, which is necessary in the breakdown of fats in digestion. When the bile flow is stopped or slowed down, this causes a build up of bile acids in the liver which can spill into the bloodstream. Causing severe itching! Well with my luck, I'M POSITIVE! Oh and the best part is 1 to 2 pregnancies in 1000 are affected by cholestasis. And the women who generally do get cholestasis during pregnancy are:
Women carrying multiples
Women who have previous liver damage
Women whose mother or sisters had Cholestasis

Women who are Chilean and Swedish



I am non of these!!! The scary thing that gives me anxiety is Cholestasis may increase the risks for fetal distress, preterm birth, or stillbirth. Because Little O relies on the my liver to remove bile acids from the blood; therefore, the elevated levels of maternal bile cause stress on the baby’s liver. As long as Oliver continues to move around, my mind is appeased.



At least I have an answer for my crawling skin. So what this means for us and Little O is that they put me on some medications that should lower the acid in my blood until I go in on SATURDAY night to get this show on the road!!! We get to meet this little guy a little sooner than anticipated, which is throwing me into a frenzy trying to get my life in order! I just can't believe that he will actually be here, in my arms.... Only a few short days away! I am hoping by Sunday night he will have made his safe arrival (Just in time for Uncle Jr and Aunt Kristi to come home!) We will keep you posted on everything, I can't wait to brag about this new addition! In the mean time I am lathering in Calamine Lotion and carry a hair comb with me everywhere I go to help me scratch the darn annoying itch!

Here we are 38.5 weeks along.... WHOOHOOO!



I need to take some pictures to show off babies room... That will be save for a future post

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just seem to have all the luck! However, I have heard that all pregnancies after the first are a breeze...let's hope that true. Also...super cute blog! Where did you find the layout at?

Anonymous said...

Wow- you have been going through a lot with your little Oliver! My sister in law has the same disorder. She gets through her pregnancies from an online support group. Luckily you are going in Saturday (good luck!!), but if you want her e-mail address for future pregnancies, let me know. It is not a fun thing at all!!! Hopefully yours won't, but hers got worse with each pregnancy. I hope everything else goes well! Love ya!

Royce Reflections said...

You look beautiful! Lots of luck.

Mommy Madness said...

You look amazing! I'm sorry you have to go through all this yucky stuff, but SO EXCITED that he's almost here.

bella utahan said...

YOu still look stunning, even if you are super itchy!we will anxiously await on skype to meet little O!

The Bowler Five said...

I am Jen's sister in law. I just have to say that I hope all goes well with the delivery. I am glad your doctor picked up on this so quickly. The yahoo group is itchymoms. It is nice to see the different way people cope and how they deal with it. We are expecting baby number four. Diagnosed with third at 28 weeks...suffered first and second with no understanding. We pray for your healthy baby too. Best of luck.